Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
18215332

I want to buy a house in cuyahoga county ohio. It has a detached

Customer Question

I want to buy a house in cuyahoga county ohio. It has a detached 2 bedroom unit I want to rent, but the city says it is only zoned for single family occupancy. It has been rented for two decades, how would I get it grandfathered in?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
For a non conforming use to be grandfathered and not affected by the current zoning, it has to be in existence prior to the zoning law change. In other words the detached two-bedroom unit would have to have been there before you the area was zoned for single-family occupancy. Is that the case and can you prove it? If so, then you have a good chance of being able to keep the unit on the property. If you cannot, and you buy the home, then you will be faced with the city forcing you to take it away or tear it down. I hope that you will find this information helpful and that you will enter a positive rating for my answer.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.