How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Greetings, My tenant had his car park at the curb in front

Customer Question

My tenant had his car park at the curb in front of the premises. As the result of a hit and run accident (police report has been filed) his car damaged my fence. My tenant does not have comprehensive coverage on his car. Is he liable for repairing a fence?
The accident took place in Sacramento county, CA
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation.Assuming that your tenant was parked legally on the curb, your tenant is not liable for the damage to your fence. The driver of the vehicle that caused the accident is the one that is responsible for the damage. While it may be difficult (or even impossible) for you to ultimately find this individual, they are the ones responsible for paying for the damage to your property (they caused the injury not your tenant). If you carry insurance on your property you can file a claim for the damage. (Again this would be for your insurance, not your tenant's renter's insurance - they are not the ones that caused the damage, it is not their liability).