How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister and I have acquired a property through adverse possession

Customer Question

My sister and I have acquired a property through adverse possession on a parcel that was abandoned for 8 years, previous owner has declared disinterest in the property and my sister and I have reclaimed it, cleaned it up, put sweat equity into it and have been occupying the property for almost 90 days. The "deed of trust is now going up for auction and we have been getting eviction notices. As far as I know, through a Bloomberg report, the bank has already been compensated of the monies owed through a mortgage by the previous owner in 2004. what steps can my sister and I take to get the paper pushers off our back and get a re conveyance of the deed so we can move forward with our homestead. such as paying land tax, getting the utilities back on and so forth. Is filing a Cp105 form going to be effective in any way and what steps can we take to stop the auction of the deed of trust, an astopple?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Adverse possession under Nevada law requires possession of the property and payment of taxes for at least 5 years. Here's a good link you can read:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If you have occupied the property and paid taxes for the requisite period of time, you should have a right claim the property under the laws of adverse possession.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
In order to stop the foreclosure and maintain or confirm your claim of adverse possession, you'd have to file a lawsuit against the owner and the lender and have the court determine if you have met the requirements of adverse possession....and if so, the court can confirm ownership of the property to you.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Real Estate Law Questions