Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a short-term furnished rental. The tenant broke an

Customer Question
end table. I purchased the...
I have a short-term furnished rental. The tenant broke an end table. I purchased the table in 98 but it is in perfect condition. I found a similar table to replace it for about $60. Is the tenant responsible to pay for the new table?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/26/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..Is the tenant responsible to pay for the new table? .Unfortunately no, furniture used in a rental dwelling depreciates just like any other asset owned by the landlord. I don't know what a depreciation schedule would be for an end table, but most judges impose a 5-7 year depreciable life to rental assets. An 18 year old end table would likely have already used up its depreciable lifespan..You could try to charge them its replacement cost, but if they challenged it in court, they would win..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if it was new?
If the table was new, you could charge for its full replacement cost. But realistically, if you charge them for the table, it may be unlikely that they realize the concept of depreciation or decide to fight about $60 in court.....thanksBarrister
Barrister, Lawyer