Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am having trouble being approved rental property. I

Customer Question

I am having trouble being approved for a rental property. I have discovered that items from my dads past (Eviction and auto insurance depts.) have been put on my record and is causing me to be denied. My dad and I share first and last names however our middle names differ. My current landlord passed away and the family is selling the house and have given me written notice of 60 days to vacate. a month has gone by before I made this discovery. I have under a month to find a new place to live. Im stressed and loosing sleep. I seem to be getting the "runaround" from the reporting agencies. I need help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is not unusual, but thankfully, there is a way to fix this.

The landlords use credit history checks from the three big companies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Expedian. The good thing is that there is a way to dispute false history on a credit report with EACH of the companies.

Someone in your situation wants to do the following:

1) Order a free credit report from EACH company. See HERE.

2) Go through and mark whatever is NOT yours, but your father's.

3) DISPUTE is with the credit bureau that has the negative item. This can be done ONLINE:

dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp

www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/home.action

www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

You can often attach proof as needed.

4) The party that put the negative item on the history will have 30 days to refute the dispute. They may not even do so once they realize they have the wrong person. The credit bureau shall then delete the negative item if there is no refute from the creditor, or make a decision if there is a refute.

5) The negative items should then fall off the report.

Note that if this has already been done and did not work, REPLY AND LET ME KNOW and we can discuss next steps to possibly resolve the issue.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for your response however it is information that I have already done. approximately 2 weeks ago I submitted a dispute with Equifax challenging the insurance collections charge. This has been resolved and according to CreditKarma.com has been removed from my report.. I came here in search of Legal council and under the understanding that legal council is what I submitted payment for. Am mistaken in believing that I will get that here for the dollar amount requested of me? My concern is how do I prevent my fathers Judgment from his old apartments from showing up when my name is ***** ***** approval process for rental applications or anything else for that matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The judgment is from Sacramento County courts.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I came here in search of Legal council and under the understanding that legal council is what I submitted payment for. Am mistaken in believing that I will get that here for the dollar amount requested of me?
Yes, you are. This is not legal advice. This is general information, only. There are multiple disclaimers all over the site explaining this in addition to my own, and you have to click through one to get to the answer.
My concern is how do I prevent my fathers Judgment from his old apartments from showing up when my name is ***** ***** approval process for rental applications or anything else for that matter?
Your original question made it sound as though your issue was with the credit history. I see now that it is focusing more on simply the background checks. Okay. Provided you are okay with the fact that this is general information only and is not legal advice, please reply and let me know and we can discuss the options for these "false red flags" that pop up on your background search for civil cases.