How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Utah. I have rental property in California which I

Customer Question

Hi my name is Aziza
I live in Utah. I have rental property in California which I gave to Property management company and they neglected my property so squatters have moved into my place and I need to sue this management company to get my property back. Can you help??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This service can give you information...but we can not represent you.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking the process to evict? Or resources for hiring an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to sue the property management company with whom I signed a contract to manage my properties instead they neglected my properties
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you have questions regarding this? If so what are they please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had one house in Visalia which was totally destroyed by homeless people and I had to sell it cheap. The other house is occupied by drug dealers and the property managers keep reeling me that house is vacant. This is because they have not gone to check on my house
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep telling
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I understand...and do you have questions regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I sue the property management company. What is the process? They are located in Fresno California
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the process or steps I need to take to get my money out of property management company since they breached the contract and neglected both my properties. They are located in Fresno CA
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

You have to file suit in Fresno (since they are located there, that is the venue...or place you need to file the case)

There are two ways to approach this. Once, you can "do it yourself". This is possible in "small claims court"

Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer).

The process is simple enough. You head to the court (in Fresno) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court. Since you are out of state, you can try contacting the court to see if they can send you the forms and allow you to file by mail

In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well.

You can sue for up to $7.5K in small claims (but you can not sue for your travel costs)

OR you can hire an attorney to assist you. This makes it can find an attorney here

Through the county bar...or you can use this service

To select a lawyer to represent you

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you were going to help me write a legal letter to the management company to get the process started. I am not satisfied with your answer I know how to look up those sites online.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...I do not understand where you got the impression i would write you a letter...but that is not available, as it clearly would violate the terms of service of this website that you agreed to when you came on the site.

I will opt out and allow other experts to assist you if they can. No need to respond...if someone else can help you they will

I wish you the best of luck

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What I can do is provide a sample demand letter. But it would be for educational purposes only and to show you what one would look like. You should not use it verbatim.

Would this be acceptable?