How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37066
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents purchased a house husband and I. We are now

Customer Question

My parents purchased a house for my husband and I. We are now divorced. He and I are on the deed each for 25% and my parents own 50%. My ex husband is not willing to sell at this point. I am currently living in the home and have been for 2 years. Our divorce decree states we will sell the house and share the equity equally. My parents have invested recent money into the house to make it marketable. He doesn't want the cost of those repairs to affect his profit. My question is, what do we do when we have 75% of the owners ready to sell and 25% not on board? How can we force the sale? The mortgage and taxes are all in my parents name. I have been paying them rent. Any help would be much appreciated!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..When one owner doesn't want to sell and the others do, then the selling owner's recourse is to file a "partition action" against the other owner in the local court. This is where a judge will order the house sold so that the owners can "cash out" their interests. It will normally require an appraisal of the property and then either listing it with a realtor or going to a public auction where anyone can bid..This is an absolute right, so it can not be denied and any local real estate attorney could get the action filed for you and parents to get it before a judge so he can order the sale... thanksBarrister

Related Real Estate Law Questions