Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My name is***** live in Washington state. I am in the process of buying a manuf

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** live...
Hello my name is***** live in Washington state. I am in the process of buying a manufactured home and it currently is in a moblie home park. I sub lease a room to a tenant who has verbally threatened physical violence towards me and in the past has physically assulted me. I can't call the cops to have him removed or the lot owner will evict both of us and I don't have the money to move my home out of the park it is a single wide. I can't afford a lawyer because I lost my job a few months ago and am bankrupt pretty much since I have had six surgeries in the past two yers. I told him to get out and he refuses. He has gone further to say I can't evict him and he is not going to pay any bills or his rent this next month. I feel traped and don't know what to do. I am a 53 year old man and he is 31 and physically built. I need help!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/22/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You do not need to involve the police. Give him a 3 day notice to quit or pay rent. Tell him he pays you rent in 3 days or he leaves or will be evicted (I don't care what he tells you, he will be and can be evicted). If he refuses to leave still, then you go to the local court, you file a complaint for eviction and you serve him a complaint and summons. If you fear assault from him when you serve him, then you can also apply for a restraining order against him which would order him away from you.
If you are a victim of domestic violence (including abuse from a roommate), your landlord cannot evict you and if they do, you can sue them for unlawful eviction. Also, as a victim of domestic abuse, you can qualify for free legal aid through the legal aid office. This is another option for you to pursue to assist you in getting this abuser out of your home.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer