RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

I moved into a town home the end of September. I have had issues

Customer Question

I moved into a town home the end of September. I have had issues with mold, which they say was fixed but the wall is still leaking. Also have had issues with toilet leaking and they have been out multiple times. The rig it each time and I haven't even used the bathroom past few months bc of this issue. My oldest son has asthma and can't be in a home that has mold issues. I'm moving somewhere else and trying to get out of this lease due to all these issues and they still want to charge me. Is there anything that I can do or do I still have to pay??
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The rental has to be habitable and has to be safe and not cause or interfere with health issues. If there is evidence of mold and and landlord has failed to cure and correct it, then you could have grounds to break the lease and vacate. If this is effecting your sons health you want to obtain evidence to show and support mold is present and after being placed on notice, the landlord failed to correct it. Now, the toilet has to be fixed and should be done in a reasonable amount of time. If it can not and there is only one toilet then the rental may not be habitable either and it can be another basis to vacate without penalty
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!