Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I moved into an apartment complex in August of 2014. The complex

Customer Question
participated in the affordable housing...
I moved into an apartment complex in August of 2014. The complex participated in the affordable housing program. In April of 2015 I received a certified letter stating the owner may no longer be participating. Letter ANSI stated don't do anything now (quote) wait for the six month notice. Because owner may decide to continue with. Since then I have heard nothing. On 4-16-2016. I was called into the office and was told They sent me a six month notice (which they didn't) and that my rent is going up $324.00. I have my daughter who is wheelchair bound and my husband who is a stroke victim. I am also disabled. Since we never received notice of if the owner was or was not participating in the program. Or that our rent would increase. And we signed a recertification good for one year, in August of 2015. I asked since we didn't receive any notice, could they give us time to find a place before raising our rent. Mind you I just found out other received a certified six month notice. I have received mother. They said our rent goes up no matter what. We feel that the overlook was on their part and we should not be punished for their mistake. Is this a legal matter. Help us please. Signed: Patrice Williams
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/20/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Dear Customer,If you signed a new 12 month lease in August of 2015 for a set rent amount, the landlord cannot raise your rent until the end of that 12 months. (The new lease you signed is a valid and binding contract, they cannot unilaterally change the terms mid-lease).If your landlord attempts to bully you into signing a new lease, I would recommend contacting your local bar association and asking about referrals to local landlord/tenant law clinics.
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer