How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38173
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Home purchase with property damage that the VA appraiser nor

Customer Question

home purchase with property damage that the VA appraiser nor inspector did not declare ***** ***** Graham
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The home was purchased on a VA guarantee, purchased in January 2016. It was appraised by VA, but a private inspection was purchased. At that point the inspector noted a leak in the water dispenser tubing of the refrigerator that was wetting the floor board under the refrigerator and the joyces below. The seller was to fix, after moving in we found the leak to still be there after moving the refrigerator to clean. We turned the water off and called the home insurance company, who refused the claim due to pre existing condition of the leak.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I need to ask a few questions before I comment...Did you pay the inspector to come back and re-inspect to see if it had been fixed?.And the inspector did note the water leak in his report, correct?.Did the seller state that he had fixed the problem?..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, yes, yes
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the inspector's job is just to note problems and make sure the buyer is aware of them. Unless you paid him to come back to reinspect, his job is done as soon as he identifies any problem and makes you aware of it..But if the seller stated that they fixed it and they didn't, then you can sue them for breach of contract for the repairs and for any damages that occurred due to their failure to fix it and for lying about doing so..So your recourse here is to get estimates for the cost of repairs and then sue the seller for them if they won't voluntarily reimburse you for the cost of repairs...thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help any time.. And for what it is worth, if you got some estimates for the cost of repairs and then had a local attorney send a "demand letter" threatening to sue them, they might agree to pay rather than get dragged into court, hire an attorney, and lose since they are clearly in the wrong here...If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me...thanks muchBarrister