Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

We own 30 acres on Lake Michigan (in Michigan) that

Customer Question
Hello, we own 30 acres...
Hello, we own 30 acres on Lake Michigan (in Michigan) that is high bluff....is it legal to tax us at waterfront rates, since we can NOT get to the water? Carolyn
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where and when will my answer appear? I was already charged the full amount!!!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been told by an attorney friend of mine that we should not be charged waterfront tax rates, since we do not have water access!!!!!! Please help me asap......
4/20/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Hello: I will try to assist, but I will need more information. What county do you live in? Have you checked with your county or township assessor to find out what official guidelines they are following with regard to properties like yours? I will be back on line tomorrow morning.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The property is in Manistee county and no because I do not like him!
I am unable to find any references to this special problem on line. The tax code guidelines for Lake MI front property could be set by either State, County or Township laws. There are companies in my state that specialize in seeking lower property tax assessments for homeowners. They are able to do the type of technical analysis of your assessment that we are unable to do from here. I suggest that you employ one of them that will work on a contingency fee basis. If you want help in locating such a company, I will be happy to assist in that effort.
Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer