Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have a neighbor that installed solar panels on his property.

Customer Question

I have a neighbor that installed solar panels on his property. I have recently had a surveyor out to verify the boundaries of my property and found that the solar panels are extended 2 feet into my property. I would like to know what I need to do to official notify my neighbor that he has to move the panels off my property and what is my rights if he chooses to do nothing.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.You should simply notify your neighbor in writing and provide a copy of the survey as a courtesy if you can. There is no legal requirement to notify the neighbor in any specific manner before you can bring a lawsuit so you would just be trying your best to get it worked out short of having to file suit. If you need to take that step, you would be filing a lawsuit for an injunction where the court orders the neighbor to remove the panels. Also, a thought, if you are in an HOA you can probably use that as a cheaper method to accomplish what you like. Does that answer all your questions?