How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27547
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is***** am leasing a house in Penasacola

Customer Question

My name is***** am leasing a house in Penasacola Fl. I had a roommate that is on the lease with me,(Randall Spradlin). Randall is unemployed and has not been paying for rent,utilities ,food...
He has repeatedly stated he is moving and he even packs and acts like he is moving...pretty much every weekend for the past few months:( This is completely disruptive to my life as this has become a very hostile and contentious situation.
He yells at me and my children, one of which has down syndrome. Hits our dog and bangs and throws things.
He no longer has a key because of where he told me I could place the key a couple of months ago. He now shows up late at night , often after being gone for days and bangs and kicks the door and yells. This past week he did so and when I threatened to call the police, he went and made a drunken call to the police that I was causing a disturbance.
The outcome was that the police came and advised him to go to his room and leave us all alone.
I cannot continue to live this way and we are to the point where tempers are out of control. I certainly cannot hold up to this tyranny much longer and I am afraid that something bad is going to happen.
The realtor will not remove or add anyone to the lease for a period of a year, so I have no recourse there. I cannot sleep at night, I cannot leave my house without wondering what is going to happen. He walks around calling us names and antagonizing. He has even called my DS son names such as , "stupid and retarded and people will laugh at you". As a mother I cannot tell you what this does to me, but I hope on some level you can relate.
I need immediate relief from this situation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am so sorry I hear about what you are going through. Have you spoken with the landlord about this? Are you paying the entire rent on your own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spoken with the landlord and they will not intercede . I am paying the entire 1,800.00 per month plus all utilities on my own.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. There are a few options. First, you can try and make a deal with him and advise that if he does not vacate that you will sue him for half the rent he owes since you are paying in his behalf and will get a judgment against him. If he leaves then you will not go after him and assume paying the rent. Now, if this violent behavior continues and you are in fear of your safety or that of the child then the police can be called. Another option is to go to the court house now and file for a restraining order against him. If granted he would be ordered to leave the home of you can show his behavior is harmful or dangerous to you and your family and he poses a risk of harm.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions