How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I signed a lease with our landlord Ed Graham.

Customer Question

My husband and I signed a lease with our landlord Ed Graham. We unfortunately ran into some trouble and both went to jail on March 4th 2016. Rent was paid up until April 1st 2016. I got out of jail on the 1st of April, i went straight home to find out that Ed had rented the apartment to someone else. Had told him if he got rid of all of our stuff he would knock off the deposit. My family literally has nothing....Irreplaceable things that I was given that was my grandfathers from when he died was smashed into a million pieces all over the living room. All my jewelry gone. 8,000 dollars wedding set gone. I literally own nothing but the clothes on my back. Had nowhere to go. Ive had to move in with my mother for now. We lost about 20thousand dollars wprht of stuff in that apartment and he had no right. My rent wasnt even late. Is there anything I can do legally to recoop some of the loss?>?
Thank you for your time,
Christina Mendoza ***@******.*** (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Christina,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Of course you have a legal remedy. In addition to being able to sue the landlord for illegal eviction, you may also sue for the entire value of everything that the landlord threw out, gave away or kept for themselves. You will want a local landlord-tenant attorney to assist you and you will be able to seek punitive damages as well for the intentional harm done to you by the landlord. Here is a link to an article that should be of some help to you as well: You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug