Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

What does an easement property right mean? Does other

Customer Question
What does an easement property...
What does an easement property right for power mean? Does other than the power company have a right to the power on which the easement is made? Can the new neighbor use this land for any other right of way they may wish? What are the disadvantages to the sale of my property, which is listed with an easement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/17/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. An easement for power generally means that the owner of the easement has the right to lay power lines in the area for service. Whether the easement is owned by the power company or an individual depends on what the easement says.
The neighbor wouldn't have a right to use the easement area if the easement is for the utility company only.
The only disadvantage is that you can't construct anything within the easement area......so it does restrict your use of the property somewhat.......but as long as it doesn't run through the center of your property, it isn't likely that this will have a big affect on your property.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Have a great day!
Roger, Lawyer