Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law
10707909

Our parking lot is being used and the

Customer Question

Our parking lot is being used for basketball and the balls hit our vehicles is there any recourse ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.Please tell me, is this an apartment complex or a business complex? Also, can you get video of the balls hitting your vehicles and is there damage? Have you talked to the manager of the complex? Are the people playing ball residents of the complex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Townhomes and yes they are part of the complex no regard for others
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So you own your home and these are neighbors?
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
I suggest that you should first contact the parents and let them know the kids balls are hitting the vehicles and request they curtail the playing around the vehicles because you don't want to have to bring any criminal charges.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.
There are two charges that can be brought If the damaged property is worth less than $750, Third Degree Malicious Mischief or Destruction of Property charges will be filed. Malicious Mischief 3 is a gross misdemeanor and is punishable by up to 364 days of jail and up to a $5000 fine. You may also be asked by the court to replace the damaged property (pay restitution), take anger management classes, and be evaluated for alcohol or substance abuse by a treatment agency. If the property is worth between $750 and $5000, Second Degree Malicious Mischief or Destruction of Property charges will be filed. It can sometimes be argued that the damage to the property is less than $750, given the difficulty of putting a monetary value on used property. Malicious Mischief 2 is a class C felony and is punishable by up to 5 years in jail, loss of gun rights, and a fine of up to $10,000.And so there needs to be damage and also if you can get video of the balls hitting and causing the damage or have other witnesses to the problem. Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time