How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31788
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had a mechanics lien placed on my property

Customer Question

I have had a mechanics lien placed on my property for work done by a tenant (under the guise of his business which has a contractors licence) who intended to buy the property and he made improvements not authorized by me during the time he was a tenant. When the situation changed, he moved out and recorded a mechanics lien in spotsylvania Co, Va. for the work he did. He never sent me a bill and obviously there was no contract done for the work. How can I get this lien removed as I am trying to sell the house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. The contractor only has 6 months to file suit to enforce the mechanic's lien.....and if suit isn't filed within that time, then the lien is not enforceable. Here's a good link you can read:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
There are also notice and timing issues that the contractor obviously has not complied with. You can read about that here:
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
So, your option would be to wait 6 months and let the lien expire OR you can file a petition in court to remove the lien and allege that the lien is improper, that the contractor didn't properly follow the lien notice provisions, that you never authorized the work, etc.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!