Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I recently closed on a piece of land i owned in the closing

Customer Question

i recently closed on a piece of land i owned
in the closing statement ..my current bank added unknown and surprising charges onto the statement
1250.00 for a survey
10000.00 legal fees..which did NOT pertain to the selling of the land...i have emailed and argued with the bank...I asked for half back..they agreed...but now people are telling me to ask for the full 10k return..because they had no right in charging us for these fees..that were never told to us or addressed in any way shape or form...should i take the 5k and let it go...or should i tell the bank i want my full 10k,..they have already drafted settlement papers for the 5k...any ideas???
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Did they every disclose those fees on a "Good faith estimate" or on the HUD-1 Settlement Statement prior to you sitting down at the closing table?.Did they go over those charges at the closing and point them out to you?.If so, did you sign the settlement statement after they went over them?.And is that correct...$10,000 in legal fees?.How much was the property sold for?..thanksBarrister