How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An attorney advised me not to sign an agreement with the Planning

Customer Question

An attorney advised me not to sign an agreement with the Planning Department on paying a penalty of $1500. The Planning Department was willing do cancel a hearing to collect this money. The attorney said not to sign the agreement, and he would go to the hearing. Now the attorney wants about $4,000. in a few weeks time, to prepare for the next hearing. I realize now I should have paid the Planning Department the $1500. vs. paying an attorney about $4000. that has done nothing for me to date. I believe it was bad advise. Am I obligated to pay the attorney for this bad advise?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can also call me if you wish. #831(###) ###-#### ***** I still have to pay the Planning Department the $1500. And $4000. to the attorney for bad advise. I feel the attorney should have told me how much it would add up to in just a few weeks if I hired him. He should have told me to pay the $1500. in penalties because hiring him would cost a lot more. Then I would have made the decision to pay the $1500 in penalties to the Planning Department and be done with it. Now what do I do? Thank you, Jeanell
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry you find yourself in this situation and I can understand how frustrating this must be. I see you requested a phone call. If you wish I can do a phone call but I believe the additional cost is $59. I am happy to do a phone call or we can continue here just let me know which you prefer., In this case I would recommend attempting to pay the $1,500 and when the attorney bills you for the $4,000 you can contact the local bar and go through binding arbitration where he would need to prove his fee was reasonable to other attorneys that act as the arbitrator. My guess it that would be such a hassle that once you bring it up he cuts the fee. If not here is a site you can look at they direct you should look for fee arbitration offered by the bar association in your county. You can do a google search for attorney fee arbitration in your county California and see if the local bar association offers it. If they don't then you can go through the state bar association. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply and let me know. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I receive credit for the time I spent answering your question, additionally a bonus is not required but always greatly appreciated. If for some reason you don’t feel you can provide me positive feedback please reply and give me the opportunity to clarify my answer before giving me negative feedback.Regards, Ron
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to give you a heads up that I am going offline for awhile. I should be back online around 1:00 PM CST. I didn't sleep last night so that may kick in at some point and I may be out for a nap, but I will check in around 1:00 and respond to any further questions you have. Regards,Ron

Related Real Estate Law Questions