Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

Residents of retirement community want to put their rent in

Customer Question

Residents of retirement community want to put their rent in escrow until construction project is completed. What are the necessary steps and what costs would be incurred?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist. In Ohio, residents can escrow rent if the landlord has failed to repair defective conditions, after which the rent will be released to the landlord. Before a tenant can pay rent into an escrow, he/she must first provide the landlord with a written notice to repair the problems. The letter has to contain enough details that the landlord can understand exactly what needs fixing, And should let the landlord know of the intent to pay the rent into the escrow if the condition is not remedied. The landlord ten has a "reasonable time" to fix the problems. There is no set time that the law deems "reasonable," and it varies from situation to situation. For instance, a broken air conditioner would need to be fixed much faster than a condition that doesn't affect health and safety. A reasonable time for other, less urgent repairs is likely 30-days. Only after a reasonable period of time has elapsed without remediation, can the tenant begin paying the rent into an escrow. In order to take advantage of this remedy, the tenant must be current on the rent. No late or missed payments are permitted, and if the tenant is not current throughout this process (and before it begins) failure to pay the rent could result in a lawful eviction. If the above process is followed, and the landlord does not make timely repairs, you can begin paying your rent to the court (escrow). You will find the step by step process discussed in detail, along with sample forms and additional useful information here: http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/housing/landlord-tenant-issues/escrow/how-to-get-your-landlord-to-make-repairs-rent-escrow/rent-escrow-packet-in-full.pdf I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide​. Good luck! Best,Attorney 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.