Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Can HOA employee demand access of of my car (inside) to put

Customer Question

Can HOA employee demand access of of my car (inside) to put a sticker on the windshield?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are no statutes governing this, the HOA bylaws and rules are what control. The employee can demand they watch you place the sticker on the car yourself and if it goes inside the window, they can demand to stand there while they watch you properly apply the sticker (this is because believe it or not some residents will not apply the sticker and give it to someone else or use it on more than one car and the HOA has a right to insure that the sticker is physically applied and cannot be removed and also applied in the right place).
They cannot force you to let them into the car, but they also do not have to give you the sticker if the rules say they have to apply it. So you are at a stalemate if you refuse to allow them into your car and they refuse to allow you to apply it while they watch. You have a right to the sticker, but they have a right to set the rules and when you signed buying in the HOA you agreed to be bound by their rules.