Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am co trustee on my mothers property. Her home is paid in

Customer Question
I am co trustee on...
I am co trustee on my mothers property. Her home is paid in full and needs some repair. I want to apply for an equity loan. I am her primary care giver she is 93 and demented. I also have POA both medical and financial. I was told by our credit union that she has to be able to understand not just sign to get the loan. The credit union rep explained other banks would accept POA. I plan to be the one paying the loan but can't do without her signature. What are my options ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/7/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
If you have a general POA, under California law, you should be able to sign any bank mortgage/home equity loan agreement and get the financing for the repairs. If you are operating under POA, you don't need her to sign anything at all. I"m not sure why the credit union even told you that, because the credit union as well appears to be mistaken. If you have a broad POA, you can take out the mortgage, pledge the house, even sell the house tec. I would suggest trying Wells Fargo, BofA and other lenders. You will get just as good rates there and they will understand the POA and process better. Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer