How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27567
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just moved out of an apartment i left the apartment in

Customer Question

hi i just moved out of an apartment i left the apartment in excellent condition. their was a $5oo deposit when i got the apartment. i had a maid service clean the apartment i vacuumed had the stove, Refrigerator microwave everything cleaned in excellent condition. they were totally upset that i wanted to move out because they were going up on the rent $200 i was only their for a year. i just received a letter from Vegas Towers saying that i owe the almost $8000 ??? they are saying i have to pay for a new refrigerator a new microwave brand new carpeting new doors new locks they are even charging me for a pet fee for the entire year when i never even owned a pet.?? they are chagrinning me for keys i returned. cleaning that i had a professional cleaning company do. things like $200 for a hole in the wall that i hung a picture up. $200 for a door that they said had a hole in it ??? i mean the list of things are just absolutely mind blowing ??? anyway you can help me or at least point me to the right direction would be helpful thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. Did they advise why they needed to replace all these items and why they think you even had a pet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for example they said that the refrigerator had a stain on it that could not be cleaned ??? same thing with the microwave ?? non of this is true ?? i wish i would have taken pictures or video when i moved out ?? my friend came over to help me move and she had a small dog with her so they said by the dog being their they would have to charge me a whole year $30 a month for the dog plus $400 for the pet deposit???
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The rental needs to be left in the same condition as when you took possession of it less normal wear and tear. If they are going to try and impose these damages they need to substantiate them and you can ask for evidence/proof to show and support what they are seeking. Moreover, these things have diminished value so even if there was an issue with the refrigerator or microwave you would not be required to pay the price new price if it was X years old. As such, you can dispute these things in writing and ask for evidence to support it. In addition, the fact that someone brought a do over would not result in a years charge for a pet fee. If anything, you would need to pay for any cleaning or damages which it causes but they could not just charge you this for one day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i dispute these things?? where do i go ? are their forms from the state or city i need to get? who do i file a dispute with here in las vegas ? it said in the letter that i have 10 days to pay the $8000 or they would send it to a collection agency ?
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
You need to respond to them in writing and advise of the dispute and ask for evidence and share with them that you will contest this. You do not owe it and if they send it to collections you will dispute it and sue them if any damages result from their claims which are false and can not be substantiated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so just write a letter stating i am disputing all these charges and ask for evidence and let them know that if they send it to a collection agency. so do i just write this letter myself ?? do i need to send it citified mail? deliver it in person ? get it notified ? do i send a copy to the local state or city?
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
You write it yourself and can send it via certified mail so you know it was received.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok when i send this letter and they receive it ...what is my next step ? do i just wait for a response from them ? what if i don't receive one from them ? and if i do what do i do then ?
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify the state this rental was in
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure if you signed off so I will log off for the night. Please just let me know and I can respond in the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is in las Vegas Navada
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clark county
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
If your landlord has not returned your deposit or provided an itemization of deductions by the state deadline, or the landlord has taken deductions that you don’t believe are justified, ask for the return of your deposit in writing. Your letter should spell out the main facts, your legal rights, what exactly you want, and your intent to sue in small claims court if necessary. It’s a chance to give your landlord your forwarding address (something you should have done when you gave notice to move out, but it’s a good idea to provide it again).It’s an opportunity to build your case for a small claims lawsuit.Your letter makes it more likely that you’ll get penalty or punitive damages if the landlord fails to follow the security deposit law. If your landlord has not given you a satisfactory response to your demand letter, you may file a lawsuit immediately, or try mediation first, a procedure in which you meet with a neutral third person who helps you and your landlord arrive at your own solution. Mediation may be available from a community-based mediation program, or even right in the courthouse. In some cases, the court may require you to try mediation before suing your landlord, so check with your court for details on this. You can sue for the amount of the security deposit that your landlord wrongfully withheld, up to the state limit. The maximum amount for which you can sue in Nevada Small Claims Court is $10,000.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Real Estate Law Questions