Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My name is ***** *****. Is it okay to have a default entered

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** *****. Is it okay to have a default entered against me in a quiet title action? Thank yiu
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was a trustee on a property about ten years ago I was listed as the trustee for only five months. Now I contacted plaintiffs attorney and he says just let a default judgment be entered against me. Doesn't a default mean that it will be on my credit forever?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
4/5/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 1 year ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Yes, a default judgment is treated as a normal legal judgment, which from a credit rating perspective, is as bad as a foreclosure. As such, most parties will attempt to negotiate a settlement so that a judgment is not entered; a judgment remains on a record for 10 years; but they can be renewed so if renewed, they can remain on one's credit report for many decades.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you. ***** should retain an attorney to answer this complaint?
Yes; That would be worthwhile as it would avoid a default judgment; one could of course respond themselves and act "in pro per" -self representation; but if one can afford an attorney, it saves a lot of time and effort in becoming familiar with the process. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!
Please don't forget to rate positively- this does not result in additional charges to you but allows the site to credit me for assisting you. Thanks!
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator