legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

My name is ***** *****. Is it okay to have a default entered

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****. Is it okay to have a default entered against me in a quiet title action? Thank yiu
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was a trustee on a property about ten years ago I was listed as the trustee for only five months. Now I contacted plaintiffs attorney and he says just let a default judgment be entered against me. Doesn't a default mean that it will be on my credit forever?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Yes, a default judgment is treated as a normal legal judgment, which from a credit rating perspective, is as bad as a foreclosure. As such, most parties will attempt to negotiate a settlement so that a judgment is not entered; a judgment remains on a record for 10 years; but they can be renewed so if renewed, they can remain on one's credit report for many decades.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ***** should retain an attorney to answer this complaint?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Yes; That would be worthwhile as it would avoid a default judgment; one could of course respond themselves and act "in pro per" -self representation; but if one can afford an attorney, it saves a lot of time and effort in becoming familiar with the process. Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information I provided is useful. If you need further clarification please post here and I will reply as soon as I see it; otherwise, Kindly-Rate Positively-This does Not result in additional charges to the customer and allows the site to credit me for assisting you today.Thank you and take care!
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to rate positively- this does not result in additional charges to you but allows the site to credit me for assisting you. Thanks!