How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a partner in a property that refuses to discuss putting

Customer Question

I have a partner in a property that refuses to discuss putting the property on the market. Do I have any rights here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you have rights, and you can't have your property or property interest held hostage. But, if you and your partner cannot agree on whether to sell the property, the only thing you can do is file a partition lawsuit. A partition suit either (1) forces the sale of the entire property, and the proceeds therefrom are split equally between the partners after all debts are retired (bank liens, taxes, etc.) or (2) divides the property equally between the partners and each take title to a divided 1/2 of the property (this really only works with raw land/agricultural land with no home located on it).
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Usually, filing a partition lawsuit is the last resort and only done in the event that the parties cannot reach some type of agreement to split or sell the land. However, you certainly have that right and you can file the action force the sale or division of the property if all else fails.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If you need anything further, please let me know. Thanks!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Related Real Estate Law Questions