Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a partner in a property that refuses to discuss putting

Customer Question
the property on the market...
I have a partner in a property that refuses to discuss putting the property on the market. Do I have any rights here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/5/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Yes, you have rights, and you can't have your property or property interest held hostage. But, if you and your partner cannot agree on whether to sell the property, the only thing you can do is file a partition lawsuit. A partition suit either (1) forces the sale of the entire property, and the proceeds therefrom are split equally between the partners after all debts are retired (bank liens, taxes, etc.) or (2) divides the property equally between the partners and each take title to a divided 1/2 of the property (this really only works with raw land/agricultural land with no home located on it).
Usually, filing a partition lawsuit is the last resort and only done in the event that the parties cannot reach some type of agreement to split or sell the land. However, you certainly have that right and you can file the action force the sale or division of the property if all else fails.
If you need anything further, please let me know. Thanks!
Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Roger, Lawyer