How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Gonzalez Your Own Question
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 532
Experience:  Managing Member at Perez-Mena & Gonzalez, LLC
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Michael Gonzalez is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a church (501c-3, sales tax exempt status) in

Customer Question

We are a church (501c-3, sales tax exempt status) in Florida. We currently are renting a facility in a strip mall. Do we need to pay property tax? We don't own the property just renting it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Only the property owner would be liable for the property tax. However, landlords (i.e. property owners) often include their expenses including but not limited to property taxes and insurance in the rent to their tenants. Nonetheless, the obligation to pay the property tax is that of the landowner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does our tax exempt status clear us from having to pay the property tax if the landlord wants to include it?
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 1 year ago.

Industry guide for Commercial operations. It says (see page 5) that:

"All persons who engage in the business of renting, leasing, letting, or granting a license
for the use of any real property are exercising a taxable privilege unless the real property
is :"

This goes on to list about a page of exceptions, but none that would seem to apply to you.