How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27629
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We own a house in Michigan and we live in Florida we let our

Customer Question

We own a house in Michigan and we live in Florida we let our son live there and he least the house out without our permission what do we have to do to get the renters out I offer them 30 days rent free and $700 at the end of the month and they said no The house is in our name not our sons
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You would need to provide them with a 30 day written notice to vacate. If they fail to leave, then you could proceed through the court and evict them. The offer which you made them is very generous, as they have no legal right to be there, as you own the home and are demanding they vacate. The 30 day notice is a condition precedent to the eviction and if they remain, you can proceed and would not have to give them anything. Moreover, if this is a result of your son and he is leasing the home and pocketing the money, you could evict him or even go so far as sue him for the money/rent collected, without your knowledge or permission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh we talk verbally on the phone I asked him last week to leave in 30 days does that count or does it have to be in writing
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

It needs to be in writing. This way, if they dispute receiving the notice, you can show it was sent.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Real Estate Law Questions