Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I bought a house in 1996, before my partner and I could

Customer Question
legally marry, something which we...
I bought a house in 1996, before my partner and I could legally marry, something which we did in 2013. His name is ***** ***** the deed, but I have been told that a simple "Transmutation Agreement" can correct that. (However, I have since converted my note to a reverse mortgage, for which he does not qualify yet by age. Are these two separate issues, and if so, do you have any advice about how to get him on the deed?) The REAL GOAL here is to increase the amount I can deduct for capital gains if I sell from $250k to $500k.
Michael A. Kroll
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Is this California?

As far as the mortgage there are clauses that can impact the loan if the title the changes, I have never seen these exercised. These are two separate issues as I don't see the need to add him to the reverse mortgage unless that is important to you. If that is the case you would need to work that out with the lender.

A transmutation agreement in a grant deed can add his name to the title. I was going to provide forms for you if you could provide the location of the property. I could also provide a link for attorneys in your area that prepare these agreements and provide free consultations.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. If you would be kind enough to rate my service so I mat receive credit for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you for using JA!

Did you have any additional questions for me?

Please ignore the Premium Services Offer.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney