How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 3 property judgement liens on my homestead property

Customer Question

I have 3 property judgement liens on my homestead property in Flower Mound. These are a result of a failed business venture that I had 11 years ago. The liens are 8 and 9 years old. I am trying to finance a pool for my house with the equity (over $150,000) in my house but the bank does not want to loan me money because of the liens. I've read that judgement liens are valid for 10 years. If I want to borrow the money for the pool for this year, what options do I have?
Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

In order to determine if the liens can be discharged we need to know which of the abstracts of judgment were filed after September 1, 2007.

Were all three judgments obtained after that date?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the liens was filed on August 27, 2007. The other two liens were filed in 2008.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Let's fist make sure that when you say the lien was filed, you mean to say that is when it was recorded in the county deed records as opposed to the date the judgment was signed by the court. So, when was the judgment signed on the August 27th one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just email you the email that I received from the bank on the liens? I can do that if you provide me your email address. If I need to pay a little more for your efforts, please let me know.Thank You,
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Raul, please consider my offer for premium services. I think you will be pleased.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would if I saw potential use of your services in the future. This is the first time that I've had a need for a real estate lawyer in my 60 years of life. I do not mind paying a little more for your legal advice for this one time need.Raul
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


I am not sure I follow what you are saying but no matter. Maybe you can just pay me a bonus as you see fit. While I cannot give out my private email address without your accepting the offer of additional service, you are welcome to upload the document for me to review directly on this JA page. If you need help on how to do that from your end of the portal, you may want to contact JA customer service at 1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maverick, I've attached the file "Gamboa-Judgements liens -2.pdf" Let me know if you can read them.Thank you,
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.


There is not much that can be done about the August 07 abstract. You may just have to pay that one off before a lender will approve a loan for the pool because even if that lender cannot force a sale, if a sale of the home ever occurs, that lender will need to be paid and paid with interest.

For the 2008 abstract- Property Code Sec. 52.0012, which became effective September 1, 2007, provides a procedure for releasing homestead property from a judgment lien. Property Code Sec. 52.0012 provides for the filing of an Affidavit that must substantially comply with the form that appears in that section of the Code. Filing of the affidavit must be preceded by a 30 day notice letter, sent certified mail and addressed to the judgment creditor and its attorney of record. The letter must contain a copy of the affidavit that the homestead owner intends to file in the real property records. If done properly, your affidavit serves as a release of the judgment lien as to the homestead property. Also, then the mortgagees are entitled to rely absolutely on your affidavit.

So, contact the judgment creditor or its attorneys and inform them that the lien is currently showing against the homestead and formally demand that the creditor execute a partial release or legal action will be taken without further notice. The legal basis for this demand is Tarrant Bank v. Miller (833 S.W.2D 366) which decided that a judgment creditor was liable in damages if it failed after demand to give a partial release of a judgment as to the debtor’s homestead.

See here for property code 52 details.