How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents passed so my sister and I inherited the house in

Customer Question

Hello. my parents passed so my sister and I inherited the house in Philippines but we all live here in USA but youngest sister and her husband and son live in that house for free just taking care of the house and two rentals property. Before my mother died we have agreement that all of us will not sell the house. Now, we have a problem with our sister who lives there because she takes the rental money instead of putting in the bank for house maintenance account. they live there for free since my parents were alive. So, can we do something about this because she is so hard headed sister and she live a very extravagant life and here we are paying our rent here and live in hard way.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Because the house at issue is located in the Philippines, there is not much that a USA court can do to exercise jurisdiction over the property. What you would need to do is show the the courts over there that you have inherited an interest in the house and that due to a difference of opinion on how the home should be divided or used, you now seek a court order to partition the property. This means that the court would order the property sold and after deducting the costs of court and costs of sale, it would divide the sales proceeds based upon each siblings inherited interest which may be 1/3 each in this case.

The child who demands that the properties of his deceased parents should be partitioned and distributed to the heirs may file an ordinary action for partition under Rule 69 of the Rules of Court. Under the said rule, a person having the right to compel partition of real estate may file a complaint in the Regional Trial Court (RTC) of the province where the real property or part thereof is located.