How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socallegalwork Your Own Question
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socallegalwork is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I belong to a homeowners associations in Naples Florida. We

Customer Question

hello, I belong to a homeowners associations in Naples Florida. We have a declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions. The Board has decided to ammend the voting procedure without taking a vote of the general membership. The laws state they need a 2/3 majority to change anything. They only took a vote of the neighborhood association heads. They now are going to use that system for voting on a multi-million dollar renovation in the community in which we all will be expected to pay a portion. I've have tried to talk to several members, but they are unwilling to change their position. How do I go about exposing this? What steps do I need to do to ensure the vote will be held correctly? Please help. Thanks.
Sharon Roszkowski
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I believe I can assist you.

If the HOA is acting contrary to their own by-laws and refuse to cease these activities (even after writing to them and pointing out these improper actions) you can file in court for a preliminary injunction against the HOA preventing them from moving forward with the vote pending a court hearing where a judge can hear the merits of your position.

Before I file suit, I would specifically warn the board in writing of your intention to seek court intervention. Perhaps they will re-consider their position.

Related Real Estate Law Questions