How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Albert Marmero Your Own Question
Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 197
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Albert Marmero is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****.A party is wanting to donate a parcel

Customer Question

Hello .My name is ***** *****.A party is wanting to donate a parcel of land to our church.The issue is there is an outstanding tax of about 13,000 owed .Can I get the tax extinguished because we are a non-profit? Thank You.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The party wants to quit claim a deed to us so that we can have the property but there is taxes owed .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What state is the property located in? Is the property up for tax auction yet?
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.

Generally, back taxes on property cannot be extinguished or eliminated. So one who is taking title to a parcel with back property taxes owed must be sure this issue is handled prior to closing. Once a church takes title to a property, a church can file for a property tax exemption with the taxing authority, but until that occurs, the property will continue to be taxed. And once the property becomes tax exempt, back taxes are not eliminated. Those taxes accrued for municipal services which have already been provided. It is very important to be sure a property has no back taxes owed prior to taking title.

Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 1 year ago.
I hope you found my answer helpful. Did you have any further questions?