Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Does At&T have the right to run a cable through my front and

Customer Question
back yard to reach the...
Does At&T have the right to run a cable through my front and back yard to reach the house behind me? My understanding is that the easement for utilities/municipalities (if they are one) is in the front of my front yard in Novi, MI.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/30/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer

Dear Customer,

It depends on what the utility easement for your property actually is.

(This is the easement specific to your property, not a "general rule" or "usually applies" type of question - you will want to get the actual deed restrictions for your property, if you do not have a complete title report for your property, you can order one from a title company for a small fee, national title companies include: Old Republic, Chicago Title, and First American, but there are also smaller, local companies that can provide you with this service as well).

It is also possible to go and do this yourself at the County Recorder's Office, but unless you have experience in looking through title records, you are likely to overlook or altogether miss a critical document, potentially rendering your efforts worthless.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer