How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117438
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A family member, receives SSI, Food Stamps and lived in

Customer Question

A family member, receives SSI, Food Stamps and lived in Section 8 housing. Purchased the section 8 home using borrowed money from family members sisters. She lost her food stamps because the house is in her name. she is still paying back family members and needs food stamps. She is asking the family member to sign as her landlord stating she is paying $200 for rent. The house is in her name (family member on SSI) though. What should be done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
She cannot have them sign as her landlord, since the house is in her name. Once she put the house in her name, that hurt her benefits for food stamps. The only way she could have done this is the relatives should have put the house in their name and then they could have rented it to her and she would have kept her qualification. At this point, if the family loaned her the money, they need to do a voluntary foreclosure where she signs giving them the property in lieu of them suing to foreclose for non-payment and then they put the deed into their name and they can lease her the house and she can again apply for her entitlement program benefits.

Related Real Estate Law Questions