How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29819
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was common law married years we bought land and house in

Customer Question

I was common law married for 7 years we bought land and house in oklahoma why together all in her name due to my lack of credit at time we lived in property together for roughly 5/6 yrs we split four years ago she moved back to Washington I remain in house and pay the mortgage every month now she wants me off the land and out of house do I have any legal rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you can prove that the two of you were common law married, then you can file for divorce and ask the judge to do an equitable property division, just like if you'd gotten married using a marriage certificate. As part of the Complaint for Divorce, you can file a Motion for Use and Possession of the Marital Home, asking the judge to allow you to continue living there at least until the divorce is finalized. There's no such thing as Common Law Divorce - once a common law marriage is entered, it can only be dissolved by court order.

The judge will look at MANY factors to determine whether a common law marriage exists. The most important thing to know is that, contrary to popular believe, a common law marriage is NEVER created solely because people lived together for an extended period of time (but it is one factor). The spouses have to have indicated an intent to be married and held themselves out to the community as a married couple. Some things a judge will consider are:

  • Whether the couple had joint bank accounts, credit cards, or other jointly owned assets or joint debts.
  • Whether the couple filed joint tax returns.
  • Whether the couple shared a last name.
  • Medical records listing the other person as a spouse
  • Life insurance policies or retirement accounts that list the other person as a beneficiary spouse
  • Pictures showing that the two of you wore wedding rings while you were together
  • Testimony from family and friends that you held yourselves out as a married couple.
  • Evidence of cards ore anniversary gifts exchanged to celebrate when the common law marriage was entered.

Without that evidence, I'm sorry to say, you would be considered her tenant, and you'd be entitled only to 30 days notice before being asked to leave. That makes it very important to gather whatever evidence you can to prove that the two of you were married and not just living together.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I'm not able to call you. If you have any questions about the information I provided, please post them here so I can respond.

Related Real Estate Law Questions