How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother passed away recently (my Dad predeceased her). She

Customer Question

My Mother passed away recently (my Dad predeceased her). She owns her home with no mortgage. My brother and I are co-executors of my Mom's will. Will a title company accept our signatures on the sale contract if we decide to sell the property without going through probate?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I have not.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: My Mom's Will is fairly simple and the home is the only property she owns. She also has no debt. For those reasons, my Brother and I were considering foregoing probate. Nothing else I can think of that would be important.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Could you provide me a bit more information? What is the value of the home? What is the value of your mom's entire estate? In what state is the home located? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The home value will be approximately $100,000. The entire estate is approximately $200,000. (Including the home). The home is located in Texas.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for following up. If this were only the house, you could transfer title by doing an Affidavit of Heirship ( without going through probate. But, given that there are other assets and the size of the estate, you will have to file the will for probate and be issued letters of testamentary showing your authority. This is for your protection as well as any title company or purchaser so that all involved parties have verification that the will was valid and that you two do have legal authority. Without this process, anyone could produce a will and claim they had authority. The good news for you is that Texas has a very simple probate process that is not only quick, but also inexpensive.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions