Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Last night we had a big storm. it was bad enough to blow a

Customer Question

last night we had a big storm . it was bad enough to blow a very large tree down right over the cab of my truck. destroyed. the tree had been planted in the strip of grass between the sidewalk and road.as a homeowner i do not own that strip of land.so who is responcable for damage me or the town i live in.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Typically, unless the tree was known to be at risk for falling, it is considered an "Act of God" and you would be responsible for your own damages. Your auto insurance should cover the damage, though.

Then, your insurer may try to seek reimbursement from the city through their subrogation.