How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are separated and signed a property agreement

Customer Question

My wife and I are separated and signed a property agreement for division of assets, another agreement for what she owes me to buy out my martial share. She and her lawyer are now challenging these numbers we agreed on and saying we can resolve under equitable distribution. I already suffered losses and took actions predicated on these agreements. Why can they bring them up to re negotiate? My wife and I negotiated for 4 months to get these done. My wife owes me like $3k for back taxes and even my lawyer is saying we can resolve this thru equitable distribution - which sound expensive and unnecessary. Am I forced to revisit contracts signed 2 yrs ago that she benefited from and I was forced to move out? Can't we just enforce the contracts as written?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are not forced to renegotiate the contracts. That is your option. She can try to petition the court to modify them, but she would need to have very valid reasons like you started making more money, she started making less, etc.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Related Real Estate Law Questions