Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm living in a Estate living house in Florida. However,

Customer Question
I'm living in a Estate...
I'm living in a Estate living house in Florida. However, there are two names on the deed. My signinate other daughter is also listed. We are both on the deed. The deed states that I live in this house until my death. Then goes back to the his daughter. However, I'm paying all the bill in the house for repairs. New Air Conditioner $5,700.00, New pump and dig deeper for the well $4,000. Had to have trees cut down as that what causes the problem with the air conditioner a big limb fell on it. $600.00. I pay the insurance, maintain dues for park, and taxes. Julia pay nothing. Is this right? What are her right and what are mine. If she pays park of the bill does that give her the right to come and live in this house while I'm here?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/24/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Richard, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Richard, Lawyer

Good morning Kathleen. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

As life estate owner, you have the absolute right to the peaceful, quiet, and private enjoyment of the house while you are alive. You also have the right to rent the property out during your life. Julia has no legal right to come and live in the house. You can absolutely prohibit that, including changing the locks to prevent her entry. She only has the right to periodically inspect the property to make sure it is being maintained, but she must give you notice of this. As a life estate owner, you are obligated to pay real estate taxes assessed against the property during the Life Tenancy, protect the property from tax sales, and keep the property free from encumbrances and not to allow the property to just go to waste. That means that you have to maintain the property, but not make improvements. Julia is responsible for paying insurance on the property.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!