How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118811
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was afraid to sign an estofel and now I have a 3 day

Customer Question

I was afraid to sign an estofel and now I have a 3 day eviction..they won't take my rent, I am in a rent control apt and they want me out. They can charge more. I have been here for 11 years. I have asked for needed repairs but have received them. I do not have the money to
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet..I am not rich
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: I was singled out for the estofel. I have helped the previousowners for 11 years to aid in some managerial work here. I have always paid my rent on time.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have not paid rent, they can evict for non-payment of rent BUT if your landlord has failed to make proper repairs and you have not paid because of the failure to make repairs in breach of your lease, then you can fight an eviction. Just because he gave you a 3 day notice is not much of anything, he still needs court orders to evict you. So, send him a letter telling him you have not paid rent because he has refused to make necessary repairs in breach of the lease. Tell him if he continues to try to evict you, then you will file a counter suit in housing court for him breaching the lease and failing to make repairs.
Then if he continues and files his eviction suit in housing court, you file an answer and counterclaim against him for breach of lease and fight the eviction for him not making repairs the law and lease mandates he make.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to pay rent, but they won't except it. I am being pushed out to they can renovate and charge double.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a court hearing on april 7h. can I send my papers to you
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
We cannot represent you, you would need to go down to your local legal aid office for representation if you cannot afford to hire a local attorney. I do apologize for any misunderstanding of what we can do, but state law specifically forbids us from representing you, all we can do is provide you information.
I told you above, you have legal recourse, which is you can sue, or countersue him for breach of lease.