How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 116779
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a piece of property in Louisiana in east baton rouge

Customer Question

i have a piece of property in Louisiana in east baton rouge parish that was sold at a tax sale. i have tried to contact the person(s) who purchased it to no avail. i was told i needed to file a quite title. the property will be sold at a sheriff sale.. how do i 1. stop the sheriff sale, and 2. get the people to respond to me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under LA law, you have 3 years to redeem the property from the party who purchased the property at the tax sale from the date they recorded the sale. In order to redeem the property, the former owner must pay the purchase price, plus a five percent (5%) penalty thereon, and interest at the rate of one percent (1%) per month until redeemed. La. R.S. 47:2243.
If you have the money, but cannot contact the owner of the tax deed, your next step is you need to bring the money to the parish court and file a petition to quiet tax title and serve the sheriff's office notice which would stay the sale and they have to notify the owner of the property.
Here is a guide with the process for quieting your tax title:
The person who bought the tax title cannot get the property by simply ignoring your efforts to contact them to pay off the tax deed.

Related Real Estate Law Questions