How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37816
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A shared small llside between two close houses and neighbor

Customer Question

A shared small hillside between two close houses and neighbor dug a garden at the top of shared hillside flattening the drainage slope so it nolonger allows the water to drain thru his side of the hill. Now the water drains directly down the hill into the slab foundation of my home. His gutter also drains directly pointed at this hillside that nolonger has a slope and the hillside has been totally erroded and between the two things my front side of house is in standing water and i greatly fear my foundation will be ruined soon. For two years i have tried to give them gutter tubings to direct the water away from hill and into their yard grass and they kept getting broken. Now they have stated they dont want me to help fix it. They should have said that two years ago. Do they have to fix it somehow or do i have no recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Deborah,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because your neighbor specifically directed all of the water from the hill onto your property, you may sue the neighbor for the damage caused by their diversion of the water onto your property. You can sue for the cost to you of putting in a proper drain system on your property to avoid the damage created when they changed the water flow from their property to yours.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,