How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31688
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having trouble with Windstream Communciations. They put

Customer Question

I am having trouble with Windstream Communciations. They put some new fiber down a month ago and that fiber runs on my land. When the put it down they thought it was outside my property line because of the fence. However, when I bought the property about 4 years ago I moved the fence line in around 3-5 feet. I did this because the road crew kept making the road wider and wider, getting closer to my property.
They agreed the fiber was dug on my land and said they would pay me $5000 if I would grant them an easement, which I said I would.
Now they say they do not need my easement because as a utility they get a free 25 feet from the center of the road. I am hiring an attorney but would like your opinion before I do so.
thanks you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

There's generally no such thing as a free easement from the centerline of the road.......The state or county (depending on whether the road is a county or state road) would have a right of way from the centerline, but not a utility. Instead, the utility must obtain an easement either through a purchase or deed or eminent domain.

Thus, if the utility placed the lines on your property and outside of the easement area, then they should either have to move the lines OR pay you for placing the lines on your land.

Related Real Estate Law Questions