Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Is an email a legal contract when it comes to the sale of a

Customer Question

Is an email a legal contract when it comes to the sale of a mobile home in a space rent contract?
My husband sent an email to a prospective purchaser of a home home we own in a park in Lake Havasu Arizona. I can send the email to you for review.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

As a general rule, an email does not form a valid contract, where there is a requirement of a written contract, since it is not physically signed.

However, if the parties have a written contract which specifically allows for email modifications or acceptance then it can be enforceable. However, an email is not generally enforceable as the sole written evidence of an agreement required to be in writing.