How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118742
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandmother is 85 and owns mineral rights that are not

Customer Question

My grandmother is 85 and owns mineral rights that are not currently being leased and do not have any income at this time. She is getting ready to file for bankruptcy and was told that she needs to transfer these mineral rights to someone other than her children and can be "sold" for $1. My grandmother wanted to give them to me but I don't know how to go about it or what we need to do. Would we have to open escrow, etc?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other information would you like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your grandmother can transfer them to you for $1 by using a quit claim deed, you do not need to open escrow or do anything else. You do not need to do any title search or anything, just go to the property clerk office and get them to give you a blank quit claim deed form and fill it out and have it signed and notarized and go back to the property clerk and file it with the property clerk and that would change ownership of the mineral rights to you.