How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55447
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and her boyfriend signed a lease this past

Customer Question

Jane. My daughter and her boyfriend signed a lease this past Friday afternoon. When I saw the apartment in the evening, I knew that it was in an extremely unsafe area and they never took occupancy. There is NO security in this tenement building, they were told about a parking fee AFTER they signed the lease, they were never given a copy of the lease and we saw a drug deal going on in the hallway. Do we have recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Holly. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you do have recourse. They do have a right to terminate and receive all their money back. They have grounds to rescind or break the lease based on one or more of the following: i) the property was not acceptable; for example, if the property was misrepresented as being something it is not or having something it does not have, you may declare a rescission of the contract; and/or ii) if the property had significant defects or other problems, you may also declare a rescission. This situation essentially satisfies both these elements. A valid rescission will terminate their obligations under the contract. They will need to set forth the grounds in a written notice of rescission to the landlord and return the keys as soon as possible. If their money is not refunded voluntarily, they should file suit against the landlord. They will want to let the landlord know that if they are forced to file this suit, they will be asking not only for the refund of their money, but also punitive damages for withholding what is due them in bad faith. And, that if he files any negative report against them, they will be adding a cause of action for defamation.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions