How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord and I have tenants who want a trampoline in

Customer Question

Hello, my name is*****
I am a landlord and I have tenants who want a trampoline in the yard for their kids. If someone is hurt on the trampoline, either their kids or friends of their kids, can I be help liable?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

This question arises occasionally with regard to unusually dangerous hazards (above ground swimming pools and trampolines) that tenants want to install.

There is a risk of liability for landlords in the event of an injury. The theories of liability are based on a combination of "premises liability" and the extraordinary danger posed by these devices. Most landlords simply ban these recreational devices as they pose too great a threat and they exceed the scope of the lease (use of the property for residential purposes).

However, if you want to pursue it, I would recommend having both the tenant obtain renter's insurance that covers this type of device (not all renter's insurance is the same, you will want to confirm that the policy covers loss of this nature), and that you obtain your own policy, or ensure that your current policy covers this kind of loss.

Related Real Estate Law Questions