How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in SC where 3 residents use a drive that belongs to

Customer Question

I live in SC where 3 residents use a long drive that belongs to my uncle for 20+ years. He owns land on both sides and as I turn into my private drive I have to cross about 2 feet of his property which he has allowed from day one. He is now mad at me and placing a fence on my side which is on his 2 foot leaving me a narrow drive. Is he allowed this and can he close me off or make me have to take a footpath to get to my property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Heath. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping.

Your uncle is not going to prevail in his stance. If your uncle won't voluntarily back off, you can file a suit to quiet title with the court to ask the court to grant you an easement based on of the following: i) an easement by necessity because you would otherwise be landlocked; and/or ii) a prescriptive easement based on your long-time usage...which is similar to adverse possession except it's based on usage rather than ownership so the result is you get an access easement rather than an ownership of the property. Once the court grants this easement, you can record this court order in the real property records of the city/county in which the property is located, and it will have the same legal effect as if your uncle had granted the easement.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Real Estate Law Questions