Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a judgement against me .00 a month and the creditor…

Customer Question
I have a judgement against...
I have a judgement against me for 75.00 a month and the creditor placed a lien on my property as well. The court agreed to the 75.00 monthly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/10/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you asking if the creditor can legally file the lien? If so, then the answer is yes because they have a legal judgment against you and are entitled to secure it by filing it as a lien.

.

The fact that they negotiated a payment arrangement with you to accept payments wouldn't mean that they have to remain unsecured creditors until the debt was paid off. But as long as you continue to make the payments until paid off, they couldn't do anything to foreclose on the lien or they would be in breach of contract.

.

.

thanks

If this is my primary property can it be exempt and if so how would I be able to do that

If this is your homestead where you live, the creditor could still file a lien, they just couldn't enforce it by foreclosing on it if you had less than the statutory equity exemption amount which ranges from $75,000 up to $175,000 depending on whether you are married or not, disabled, and your age..

.

So while it isn't "exempt" from being liened, it may likely be protected from having the lien foreclosed on and enforced unless you have over a certain amount of equity in it.

.

But then again, as long as you continue to pay under the payment agreement as agreed, they couldn't foreclose on the lien either.

.

thanks